Nature Trays and Identifying Trees


Our Summer Nature Tray
 We've been outside identifying the trees in the neighborhood. We chose four to identify besides our one main tree that we are observing all year long. On our outing we gathered leaves, bark, and flowers to bring home and study. We have a nature tray that we leave out to hold the items we collect during the season. Any items that will actually last stay on the tray, all other items will be returned to the outdoors by tomorrow.


SG had fun drawing all of the trees and leaves. She also used a cheap, small jewelry microscope to look at some items up close.


SG's Nature Journal

Though we do look up information about what we observe in our field guides and online, I try not to just google every question we have. We spend time observing, questioning, wondering, and making connections. I've been surprised at how much SG has figured out simply by observing. She also has been able to put the information she's learned from her flower book to good use.

My Nature Journal
My favorite part of nature journalling is drawing and painting. When I draw a natural object, I find myself noticing more details than I do if I simply look at the object. It gives me a deeper appreciation for our Creator.

LA decided to paint a picture of SG & me instead of doing his nature journal.
LA gets super excited about nature study, but he usually moves on to another painting or drawing project pretty quickly. Or he just wanders away to play. As he gets older he'll get more involved.

Have you ever done nature study? If so, how did you go about it?

Comments

Popular Posts