Science - Light


Figuring out what to do for science has been the most challenging part of our curriculum. It's not that there isn't good homeschool science curriculum out there, there totally is, I just started out with one curriculum and realized that it didn't go into as much depth as we really wanted. 


Learning about light refraction

Studying shadows


SG is super interested in science, so our first curriculum, which had a few experiments with simplistic explanations and lots of coloring, just wasn't interesting her enough.

SG dressed up as a scientist for career day at church.


So we switched science curriculum and added some hands-on activities as well.

STEM challenges - hold up a book with just paper and tape

STEM challenge - make a habitat for an imaginary creature (ignore my feet in the bottom of that photo...)

STEM challenge - make a car that moves without you touching it using magnets and a balloon - she decided to make a list of supplies for us to get at the store and draw out her plan for later this week.

Now we have a mixture of books with science topics (earth science, animals, and inventors), hands-on activities such as snap circuits and stem challenge cards, and a little book called Physics in a Housewares Store that uses stuff we have around our house to teach basic physical science. Add nature study to that, and we're really having a blast with science!

SG reads though the Snap Circuits project and then explains how it works to LA.
I think what I love most about our new science activities are the independent learning aspect of them. Though the books are scheduled and narration is expected, the STEM challenges and other science activities are simply pulled out of the closet and set out as an option during free play. I give assistance only when asked. I get to watch and listen to learning happen independently, which is what I'm trying to foster in my kids anyway! There have been times where I have quietly adjusted our daily schedule to allow the kids to keep working on a project where I am observing them learning on their own. I love this flexibility! 

Comments

Popular Posts